The Days and Nights of House Corinthyen

The Prince's Tourney: Opening Ceremonies

Let the Games Begin!

PRESENTATION OF ARMS: Errik, Janessa, and Janeiria Corinthyen

Errik and his sisters head off the the tourney fields to mingle with other highborn – it’s likely to be a long day, and a tiring one for Errik. The rest of the Corinthyen delegation head off on the day’s other missions, investigating the strange events that have taken place during their trip to Sunspear.


SUNSPEAR: Giselle, Areon

The sun is shining brightly and the streets are busy with the morning’s foot traffic – citizens hurrying to and fro to complete their errand’s before the day grows too hot for working, vendors crying their wares, the heavy scents of spiced foods, perfumes, sweat, and dust fill the air.

Areon will look at Giselle as they are navigating the markets, “Where are we headed, Castellan Montkillier?”

“I need to find someone well versed in history, weaponry, and likely nobility,” Giselle replies, subtly leaning the box towards him and lifting the hinged lid in his direction as they walk. “If there were someone that could cover all three, and pinpoint where this item came from…and possibly why it came to ME…it would be nice…I was planing on beginning with the largest set of archives I could find. You input is always welcome, of course. I apologize for the secrecy at the inn, but I feel this matter is a bit too delicate for quiet parlors and the ears of strangers. I like this situation not at all.”

{Cunning: Memory, 14, Success x2: Giselle considers who in Sunspear might have the information that she needs: The Martells, the Temple of the Seven, the Maester’s Conclave, the criminal element.}

Giselle mentions that she is hesitant to bring the weapon near the Martells, despite their archives and experts being the most likely to have some knowledge to share, as it’s clear in her mind that it will be seen in a poor light (especially considering the talk surrounding house Corinthyen recently) and possibly a threat to their family, and that she’s leaning toward the Maester’s conclave for a starting point.

“I wish I was more comfortable with the underside of society, as I once was…in another life,” she adds almost wistfully, “as they are likely our best hope of solving this riddle. But I wouldn’t know where to start.”

{Giselle: Cunning: Memory: 14, Success; Mattyw seems to know something about the local underworld. Maybe he could provide some hints or direction about who to speak with?}

{Areon: Cunning: 20, Success; Mattyw definitely has connections here in Sunspear, and could almost certainly point them in the right direction.}

Areon will ponder for a moment, before replying, “You are right that this would not look good, given the recent false rumors regarding our house of late. There is only one reason I can think of for the small vial after all. As much as I hate to admit it, something like this might be better recognized by the less favorable element of Sunspear. Perhaps Mattyw might know how we might begin our search?”

In a remarkable feat of temporal asynchronicity, Giselle and Areon catch Mattyw and Onri before they leave the city and, in the shade of a convenient awning on a quiet street, explain the issue and ask for Mattyw’s help.

Torn by the powers of will and fate, Mattyw blinks wildly at Areon and Giselle, as though wondering what they were doing there. His surprise quickly fades at the seriousness of their situation.

“I see… so when you think of the dangerous and uncouth parts of this cities’ politik, you think of me, do you?” He grins. “Fair enough. There are three options I can present to you. One you’ll like, one you’ll loathe, and one who might find the information you seek.”

He pauses for effect, until it looks like Areon might hit him. “Seek the Jade Spring. The Madam there knows me, and will gladly help you. Might be a bit cheaper if you introduced yourself to Miss Kestrel as being friends of mine. Cheaper for other services too I wager. It is a House of Moon Flowers after all.”

“You could seek out the King of Beggars, Kipling. He’s free with his tales, as long as they may be, for a copper or two. But he hears the streets, and not always that which is beyond closed doors.”

“But if you’re looking for things that crawl beneath the streets, you can crawl no lower than to Odorous. No, Giselle, that’s not his real name. Just his nom de crime. His real name is Odell, and his favors run costly. It might be he can help you, though – there’s not much against the law he does not know.”

Areon will wait for Mattyw’s dramatics before answering. “I leave it up to your discretion Castellan, I will accompany you for your protection, but I’m afraid I’m not very good at… gathering information.”

“I think we head for the Jade Spring, and see what we can turn up there. If things don’t work out how we’d hope, it seems to me they might be able to aim us towards this Odell fellow,” says Giselle. “My thanks, Mattyw. Might you point us in the right direction? I fear I’ve forgotten mor than I remember about this great city. And at what hour are we expected at the festivities this evening? Or shall we meet to arrive together?”

Mattyw nods and gives Giselle directions to the Jade Spring, but only grudgingly to Odell. He admits to not knowing when they are required at the festivities, or the plan, but would gladly acquiesce to Giselle’s plan.

“Let us meet at the Grand Chameleon, then,” Giselle will add before departing. “Assuming that’s still its name. It’s an inn and tavern just inside the city gates with a large bell-tower. Perhaps we meet for a drink before heading out to the festivities? I feel we may need one by then.”


The Jade Spring is a relatively upscale brothel in one of the better areas of Sunspear. The Madam, Miss Kestrel lounges on a couch in the main room, draped with silks and pearls. Around the common area are a dozen or so girls and several men, all in various states of undress and compromising positions. There are many curtained alcoves, couches, and cushions in the room.

Miss Kestrel rises languorously when the two Corinthyen retainers enter.

“Welcome,” she says, “To the Jade Spring. What pleasures do you seek today?” Three young woman and a young man – a Summer Islander, by the look of him – also approach, all smiles and suggestive glances.

Areon will shift about uncomfortable in view of all the uncovered flesh. He will look between the Madam and Giselle, moving his mouth as if to speak, before settling into uncomfortable stillness at Giselle’s side. He will look to her to speak first.

“Miss Kestrel,” Giselle bows fluidly, “we have been directed to you by a compatriot, the talented bard and a close personal friend, Mattyw, to seek not your surely fine services, but your extensive knowledge in hopes of resolving a matter of some delicacy.” She looks around as if to indicate she would like to speak more privately and brushes her coin pouch.

“Friends of Mattyw’s are friends of mine,” the Madam says. “Come, come.” She beckons for them to follow her, and snaps her fingers at one of the girls as she leads the Corinthyen retainers into a quiet alcove off of the main room. The girl hurries off, and follows them in with goblets and a pitcher of wine. She pours carefully, leaning a bit too far forward in front of Areon. Miss Kestrel waits until the wine has been poured before speaking again.

“So,” she says. “What ails you?”

Giselle and Areon trade pleasantries with Miss Kestrel, who laughs aloud to learn that Mattyw has become the Court Bard of a noble house.

“If your lord knew how many nights Mattyw spent playing here, I wonder what he would think?” She says. “Then again, he’s never failed to bring in the coin.”

Pleasantries aside, Giselle presents the facts of the situation facing House Corinthyen, with occasional interjections from Areon regarding a detail here and there. Miss Kestrel’s smile fades as the story continues, and she occasionally gasps or looks away at the horrors they have faced. She seems thoughtful, though, when they describe the mysterious arrival of the dagger. After Giselle finishes, they sit in silence for a few moments.

{Awareness: 14, Failure} Although Giselle watches Kestrel closely, she struggles to get a read on the woman’s feelings. Still, Miss Kestrel seemed genuinely surprised and distraught during the tale. Whether she is honest or a consummate actress, there’s no way to tell.

“I’ve heard many tales and whispers of noble plots in my career,” Miss Kestrel says seriously. “But this surely ranks among the bloodiest of them. From your description of him, I would judge this Fox Knight to be the most dangerous sort of thug, a cunning killer who cares naught for honor or reputation. Sadly, there are many such outlaw knights wandering the kingdoms since the Dance of the Dragons. As for who is behind it all…if it is House Lugus, they must be the most arrogant and clumsy plotters in Dorne. I suspect that a third party stands to profit from this conflict, though I do not know who.”

She pauses for a drink of wine before continuing.

“Because of my affection for Mattyw, however, I will share this with you – a break in protocol that I would normally demand gold before considering. A fat merchant named Ruben Piper stayed here last night. He spoke, in confidence, of traveling here with House Lugus in the hopes that someone might have word of his betrothed, the girl named Iris Lugus who went missing some time ago. He has no noble blood, and it seems he was to marry her in exchange for taking on the House’s many debts. Perhaps these events are connected by a jealous suitor?”

Giselle turns to Areon, “What say you, friend? Shall we find this Ruben Piper? I should like to get this matter if not resolved at least understood before the festival gets too far along. I’m not sure we want Lugus spewing filth of Corinthyen all over Sunspear while all of Dorne is present…though perhaps if we confront the issue in front of the masses, ’twould be a better lesson for them?”

She turns to the madam, “I thank you so much, good lady, for your help in this matter. Might I ask that you keep your ears open on the matter? It would be good to have a local set of senses to be able to turn to, for we are traveling quite blind here, as they say.”

Miss Kestrel gives Giselle a friendly smile, and calls for someone to show them out. "Lidda, she says, addressing a pretty young girl, “Please see my guests on their way, and send a skin of cool wine with them.” The girl nods and asks the two to wait a moment while she fetches the wine. It seems to take her a while to fetch it, and Miss Kestrel, seeming impatient, excuses herself. Shortly afterward, the girl, Lidda, returns with the wine skin and leads them to door.

“The heat of the day is near upon us, and the streets here are so hot and close.” She says. “The Mistress bids you take care.”

{Areon: Cunning: 16, Success.}

As they make their way through the city, it occurs to Areon that approaching Ruben Piper directly, as representatives of House Corinthyen, may not be the best plan. After all, House Lugus has exhibited considerable animosity toward their Lord, and it seems unlikely they would be able to gain a meeting with the man on whom Lugus’ financial hopes rest. Then again, using a deception of some kind – such as posing as fellow merchants – is risky, especially if Piper were to take insult at being deceived.

During the walk to find Piper, Areon will finally offer his insights on the situation. “Castellan, it occurs to me that Ruben Piper might not be interested in talking to representatives of Corinthyen. Given the current animosity between our house and the house he hopes to enter, I wouldn’t blame him. We need to either offer him something he can’t refuse, or approach him under some sort of ruse.” Areon will think for a moment. “All I can think of to offer this man would be assistance in finding his betrothed, Iris. Otherwise, I think our house colors might actually be a detriment to our cause. What are your thoughts?”

Giselle considers. “I had hoped to pursue this ‘missing Lugus woman’ problem before I knew of their apparent problem with us,” she says. “Mayhaps we can pursue the proverbial ‘two birds with one stone’ solution here, my friend. Do you think it might be possible to quell this feud by finding this betrothed, and the genuine offer to assist may help lead to the solution of the dagger mystery, as well? I should hope goodness, friendship, nobility, and trust is not completely lost in these times.”

“Those are words that I can agree with, Castellan,” Areon will look pleased with Giselle’s chosen course of action. “I, too, want this unwarranted animosity between our houses to come to an end. Shall we come to piper with an honest tale? It seems like it might catch him off guard in these troubled times.”

“Agreed, my friend,” Giselle says almost happily. “We will trust in the goodness of people to recognize the truth, and bring to a close this dispute, though I would like to learn the cause of it, because I have a feeling there is a deeper layer of deviousness here…though I know not why I feel thusly. I only hope that we are not misjudged by those we genuinely approach in good faith. It seems that too many are too mistrusting these days. Perhaps it has always been so.”


{Learning Piper’s Current Location: Areon: Persuasion: 11, Success, +1 to Giselle’s roll}
{Learning Piper’s Current Location: Giselle: Persuasion: Logic: 15, Success}

After about 3 hours of asking around at all of the likely places a wealthy man of healthy appetite might be found, Areon and Giselle finally discover Ruben Piper feasting at a tavern known for its exquisite lobster. The Ruddy Snapper is a brightly painted two story building not far from the party’s lodgings. Three men wearing chainmail and the colors of House Lugus sit outside casting lots. They look up when Areon and Giselle approach, but make no move toward them. Either they don’t recognize the Corinthyen colors, or they don’t care.

The Master at Arms and the Castellan enter to discover a nearly empty common room, surprising in the midday hours. A bar lines the right hand wall, where a barkeep and a serving wench chat idly. The room’s only occupants sit at the far end of the room, at a long table: Ruben Piper sits at the head, a guardsman of some apparent rank sits at each hand, and four more House Lugus soldiers stand alert against the back wall. Piper looks up from his repast and smiles brightly.

“Welcome, welcome!” He bellows. “Come in, sit down, dine with me!” He waves to the young woman at the bar. “Wench! Bread and salt for our friends from House Corinthyen, and whatever else they’d like!” Turning back to Areon and Giselle, his smile broadens.

“When I heard you were looking for me, I thought to prepare a meal for us – it’s hard to shed blood or speak harshly with a full belly and a goblet of wine in your hand, yes?” He gestures toward the chairs at the bottom of the table, nearest to Areon and Giselle. “Sit, eat, drink, and then we will speak. I insist!”

Areon and Giselle sit, and the serving girl brings them bread, salt, and water, as well as goblets for wine and samples from the various dishes already on the table. She also fetches anything else they might request, within reason.

“You are well informed, Master Piper, we had only just started looking for you. I thank your for your hospitality.” Areon will pull out a seat, and gesture for Giselle to sit, “My lady.” Areon will then take a seat himself. “I, for one, could use a good meal after running all over the city today.”

Ruben Piper smiles, making his round cheeks look even larger. “He is never without friends, who is rich.” He says. “And as I am very rich, I have friends everywhere I go.” When they are comfortably seated, and have been served, he toasts their health, and then digs in himself, putting away a truly impressive amount of food in short order.

The meal done, Piper sits back and looks Giselle and Areon over, sipping at his wine. After a moment of silence, he speaks again.

“So, why have you come to me? Does your master wish to avoid the embarrassment of public reparations toward my patron house? Or have you come on your own, for some other reason? Regardless, I hope you are bearing gifts.”

“The most precious gift of all, friend,” Giselle says, “The gift of peace. Our lord knows nothing of our endeavor, but we do carry it out in his name. We are hoping to find the source of all this…let us say ‘contention’ between our house and Lugus’ as we honestly know not what caused it, and like not at all where it looks to be headed.”

“Peace…” Piper murmurs, sipping at his wine. “A valuable commodity, indeed. Although my patrons feel differently, I was quite disbelieving when told that your Lord’s famed Hoplites had been so careless, leaving a shield behind. Still, one does not forget the strange rumors surrounding his rise to power – so many dead, and all the witnesses his loyal men. Who can say what the Lord Corinthyen intends toward troubled House Lugus? Can you?”

“Your disbelief was well founded. What do you think more likely? That one of our soldiers, after successfully completing their mission left behind an intact shield, bearing our house logo, or that a mutual enemy wishes to spark a feud between our houses? I cannot presume to know all of my Lord’s plans, however I can assure you that a war between our houses is not in our best interest.” Areon will pause for a drink of wine, “We come to you to offer our assistance in a good faith gesture. The Castellan will offer you the details.”

{Areon: Persuasion: Reputation: 14, Success}

Piper swirls his wine glass thoughtfully, then drains it at one gulp.

“You are most persuasive, Master Grael, and I have heard men speak of your honorable reputation.” He turns to Giselle. “I am inclined to hear you out, then. I am a man of business, and someone has interfered with that business. What help can you offer me – and what do you ask in return?”

“I had intended on striking forth to find Lugus’ missing daughter when I first heard of her disappearance,” Giselle sips her own glass, “and may still encourage my Lord to allow me to do so,” she adds. “But before that can happen…well, master Piper, you’re clearly also one of honor and honesty, a virtue welcome as it is surely all-too rare…” she sets the box she received on the table between them, “and so I will tell you that I’ve been gifted this anonymously, and like not at all what I suspect it to mean,” she pauses, “not that I can unravel the puzzle of that, exactly…just that I feel it was not gifted in the spirit of peace, as our intentions are in searching you out. Perhaps you can be of some help?”

Piper’s eyebrows rise at the compliments Giselle offers him, but his smile suggests that he’s not displeased by the flattery. He gestures to one of the guards with his free hand, and the House Lugus soldier approaches to take the box.

“As I noted before, I have many friends. Whatever unpleasantness that box entails, I am certain I can uncover it, given time. But you won’t hear a word of it until and unless you provide me with something I can use. Frankly, I think your odds are rather poor, given that I was able to find no trace of the girl, but I am willing to take a chance.”

Piper lays out the details of the girl’s disappearance. It seems that she had gone out for her regular daily ride through the countryside near Melagrana Hill, taking only a few guards with her – fewer than normal, because most of the House’s soldiers had gone to search for survivors and enemies around the destroyed hamlet.

As he speaks, a few of the House guards mutter among themselves, and give Areon and Giselle dark looks – looks that Areon returns with a hard-eyed stare.

Piper continues by saying that Iris – the missing girl – seems to have vanished completely. She, her horse, her guards, and her guards’ horses left no trace whatsoever. And because they were riding through open countryside, there were no witnesses to say what direction they took. Despite generous offers of reward, no credible witnesses turned up, although dozens of greedy liars did. Piper believes it unlikely that any kidnappers could have made such a clean escape without taking ship somewhere – the proximity of Parth’s Pillar, in combination with the attack, is in large part why Lord Lugus blames House Corinthyen for this spate of troubles.

“Make of it what you can,” Piper says. “But do not contact me again until you have something useful. It would not do for word of our agreement to spread publicly.”

Giselle and Piper toast affably to their partnership, and make arrangements that she can contact Piper here for the duration of the festivities and through his shipping office on the docks should the investigation continue longer. As easily as that, the meeting is over, and the two Corinthyen retainers find themselves firmly escorted out. As they leave, Areon realizes that some details of the encounter have been nagging at his attention. He thinks back over the various House Lugus guards that they encountered – the gambling men still resting outside the front door, the officers and soldiers inside…some of whom seemed quite hostile, and some who did not.

{Areon: Awareness, Notice: 11, Success.}

Certain things click into place. There were two distinct sets of guards – the uncaring ones wearing new tabards and armor, and carrying, from the look of them, new weapons as well, and the disgruntled ones clearly wearing older gear and fraying tabards. ‘Mercenaries,’ he thinks. ‘Piper has supplemented the House Guard with mercenaries.’ What that could mean for the future is unclear, but it certainly bears remembering should things come to violence.

{COMPLETE}


THE DOCKS: Onri and Mattyw

The slow waters of the Greenblood drift by, gently rocking the hundreds of boats docked, docking, and undocking along the bank. The morning fish market is already in full swing, and the reek of fresh caught fish is not likely to leave either of your noses any time soon.

Mattyw wrinkles his nose as he looks around. “The Braavosi women don’t smell of fish, do they? I don’t think I could stand it if they did.” He stops momentarily at a stall to marvel at the sheer number of different fish available.

He turns to Onri as they walk. “So, what’s this visit all about? Where are we going?” He very deliberately strikes up the mannerism of a bouncing jovial kid as they trot along, prodding Onri for information.

Onri laughs at Matthyw’s question, but refrains from sharing the lewd remark he thought up in his mind. He looks wistfully at the Greenblood noting the brightly painted ships of the Orphans. “My mother was one of the Orphans. They used to to call her the Maid of the Greenblood. Now they call her the Lady of Surehaven. But you were asking about our errand. We are going to whichever flophouse is closest to the dock. The common room will be crawling with sailors. Perhaps they will be able to tell us more about the Braavosi merchant.”

The two head off to begin carousing in the various flophouses, taverns, and gambling dens of the docks. After about three hours of hard questioning and prodding and drinking, each has managed to learn some new information.

Onri corners a drunken Braavosi who was allegedly beaten and kicked off the ship for being drunk on the job one too many times. The man seems resistant at first, but a piece of silver loosens his tongue. {Persuasion: Charm, Worldly: 16, Success x2} The man confirms, over the course of the next hour, that Maiyo Vierro is operating under a false name, and definitely sells goods of questionable legality.

“Including,” the sailor says, “Liquid Fire, a grain liquor so pure and hard it’s killed several men afore me very eyes. Banned up in the Landing, they say, but the Dornish have a fine appetite for it, whatever their laws may be.”

Onri raises an eyebrow quizzically at the sailor. “It seems very strange that you would be so willing to protect a man who disrespected you so. Considering he must hide his name, I imagine any misfortune he receives would be just desserts.”

{Persuasion: Worldly: 21, Success}

Onri’s persistence, perhaps coupled with the liquor, finally seems to have an effect on the man. “Aye, that it would be! Bastard deserves what ‘e gets, and maybe you’re a man t’give it to ’im.” The sailor sizes Onri up with a squint. “Aye, maybe so. Still, there’d be those what would come looking for where you ‘eard ’is name, and I’m tired of sand and sun and woman what’ll slap a man as soon as kiss ’im. Ya take my drift?”

Onri returns the squint. “I assure you, I’m very discrete. Better yet, I’m sure one of the hooligans who roughed you up would make for an excellent fall guy.”

{Persuasion: Worldly: 18, Success}

The sailor grins a gap-toothed grin. “You’d do that for me? Har!” He gives Onri a friendly slap on the back. “You’re all right, Dornishman. Let slip that that rat Miko the Fish opened his mouth to yer, and slipped yeh some liquid fire to boot. Vierro’ll keelhaul the bastard for sure!”

He takes another drink, and then pulls Onri in close. His breath reeks of onions and ale.

“Vierro’s real name is Ptek.” He whispers in Onri’s ear. “Give the bugger what’s coming to him, and you’ll always have a friend in Largo Heket. That I promise yew.”


Mattyw is similarly successful, collecting rumors here and there from waitresses, “street wives,” and tipsy off-duty sailors. {Persuasion: Charm:22; Success x4} At last, he locates a whore who swears that she spent the night with Vierro, and saw a small portrait of him with another woman.

“Definitely a Dornish noble lady, she was, dark-skinned and strewn with jewels. And they was both nekkid. It was quite a painting.”

With a bit more prodding, she also reveals that he had a chest full of bottles and vials and potions, and that he slapped her around when he caught her looking in it. She can’t read, so she couldn’t say what the labels said, but he was definitely upset. After that, he gave her to the crew, promising her five groats for each man.

“He paid it, too.” She says, her expression somewhere between grin and grimace. “I hope you won’t be wanting any business this morning, young master. Normally I’d offer a looker like you a discount, but I’m afraid I’m a bit…tender…”

Mattyw smiles at her gently. “Too kind, gentle soul. If it were any other day for you, I would gladly take you up on the offer. Care to tell me where he took you for the night? Which ship, on which mooring?” He thinks, then smiles gently. “I’d like to think you could even rest yourself today, and shop for a bit.” He dips his hand into his pouch and gently presses a silver stag ino her hand. She smiles gratefully and stashes the coin before pointing Mattyw in the right direction. After listening to her tale, he smiles, kisses her forehead gently, presses a finger to his lips, winks, and stalks off to find Onri.

He pulls up alongside him and begins: “You’ll never believe what I’ve just learned…” and relates to him all of the information about Vierro’s location.

Onri listens to Matthyw’s information. In a low voice, he says, “A spice and liquor merchant who gets upset when a whore looks at his wares? Hardly seems like good business. I’ll bet silver against copper those bottles had poison in them, or worse. Perhaps House Lugus hired him. Maybe Iris Lugus is the woman in the portrait. I think it’s time to visit the man who calls himself Maiyo Vierro.” Onri looks at Matthyw, to see if he is ready to continue.

Standing up, Onri stretches his back and addresses his companion. “Come, troubadour just and true! Adventure awaits, and you may have a house indebted to you before sunset.”

As the two of them make their way along the boardwalk, they hear some commotion coming from behind them.

{Onri: Awareness: 11, Success}

“That’s him, father!” A young woman shouts. “He’s responsible. He said he loved me, but now he’s trying to take ship and leave!”

Looking back through the morning crowd, Mattyw and Onri see a somewhat pretty young peasant girl pointing in their general direction – no more than 17 or 18, by the look of her, and with just a hint of a baby bump beneath her dress. Next to her, red-faced and fuming, stands a middle-aged man with the bullish chest and broad shoulders of a lifelong blacksmith. He’s wearing a soot-stained leather apron, and a heavy-looking steel hammer gleams in a thong at his side. As they watch, he turns and begins to stride forward, apparently straight toward them.

{Mattyw: Awareness: Empathy: 16, Success x2: The young woman is pointing right at them, and the man’s gaze seems locked onto Onri.}

Onri turns to see the large smith stomping towards him, and wonders what it is about walking by the water that always seems to end with him staring down a large, angry man. As Matthyw begins talking to the man, Onri holds his tongue for the moment, allowing his companion to take the lead. However, he quietly adjusts his footing, in case he has to pull Matthyw out of the smith’s reach.

Mattyw casts a sidelong look at Onri, groaning inwardly. He smiles, locking eyes with the bull, stepping forward carefully, measuredly, hands well away from his blade. “Good smith! I had hoped I’d run into a craftsman here – it’s naught been but traders and conniving sniv’lers my entire visit. Not a good honest craftman in the whole bunch. Have you ever seen one of those Braavosi blades, with a basket hilt? I’ve always wanted to acquire one, and am looking for a good quality smith to do the work.” Mattyw takes a quick breath and whets his lips before continuing, feeling his mouth getting dry rapidly as he approaches the smith.

“I’m not positive what offence my friend may have committed, but I am certain he is not the cause of your beautiful daughters woes. He’s not been to Sunspear before, and has little more than just set off ship a day or two ago. I don’t think your wonderful girl would be showing quite that soon. I’m sure that we can overlook this, shake, be friends, and find some way to put this all behind us, no?”

Mattyw curses himself inwardly at his lack of tact as he cautiously extends his hand out to the smith, glancing nervously at the man’s massive mitts. He remains smiling, eyes never having left the smith’s.

{Persuasion: Convince: 15, Success x2; Composure Loss negated by Hostile State; No effect}

“Out of the way, boy!” The smith growls. “I’ll not be stopped by some soft-handed, silver-tongued page!” The barrel chested smith puts a hand on one of Mattyw’s shoulders and, with firm implacability, slides Mattyw off to the side as easily as if he were opening a door.

{Smith: Athletics: Strength vs. Mattyw: Athletics; 19 vs. 7, Success x3} Mattyw stumbles back, and drops to a knee to prevent himself from falling over.

Then the smith points at Onri with a meaty fist. “Now you, sailor boy.” He says, clearly exerting some effort to control himself. “You’ll see my daughter married, or I’ll take it out of your hide one inch at a time!”

Mattyw curses himself, and casts about, looking for a solution, before his eyes set on a barge belonging to the Orphans of the Greenblood. He bows his head for a second, his hands making a long, twisting line in the sand beneath him before rising slowly, making his fall to one knee seem quite intentional. “Good sir, if it was a wedding you seek, look no further! I take no offense to your words, kind sir, to your assumption that I am a page. I am but a humble servant of Mother Rhoyne, my hands soft from bathing in her waters.” During his speech, he will have backed up towards the smith’s daughter, and at this part will reach for, and hopefully take, her hand. “I said before that we could put this behind us – perhaps we can flow forward into the future from this moment, starting with a marriage? I am licensed to perform them, you see…”

{Deception: Act +2: 12, Success; Improves Disposition}

The girl makes a surprised “Oh!” when Mattyw grabs her, and her father the smith seems utterly taken aback by this turn of events – as if he were not expecting it to be so easy. Some of the redness fades from his cheeks, and he glances back and forth between Onri and Mattyw with suspicion.

“I see…” the man says, thoughts clearly plugging along beneath his furrowed brow. “I am sorry for shoving you…um…Brother? Only, we pray to the Seven, you see, and meaning no disrespect to, um…”

“Mother Rhoyne?” His daughter supplies helpfully.

“Right, Mother Rhoyne.” The smith continues. “Meaning no disrespect, but I think my daughter ought to be married in a Sept, and that’s what I intend to see done afore the day is out.”

Passersby have begun to pause and watch the confrontation.

Mattyw smiles benevolently at the smith. “It is nothing, good sir – it is but the duty of water to flow around the immobile, to bow in the face of force.”

He nods thoughtfully at the smith’s words. “Before the day is out is fine, noble earthforger. But you have made claim to marriage here, on the Greenblood – you may have your marriage in the sept, sir, but respect and honor demands you let the Mother Rhoyne give her blessings first. Then, when time has gone and your wonderful lass has had time to prepare her beauty to even greater heights, we may adjourn to the Sept to have the ceremony you desire.”

He looks at the man placidly before continuing. “Shall we get this marriage underway, sir?” His eyes now lock onto Onri’s.

{Deception: Act: 14, Success x2; Improves Disposition}

As Mattyw speaks, the smith’s brow seems to furrow deeper and deeper, and he begins to chew on his lip uncertainly.

“What, here? Right now?” He asks, startled. He looks at Onri. “I can see you’re a lad of some means, or my name ain’t ”/campaigns/housecorinthyen/characters/thomas-smyter" class=“wiki-content-link”>Thomas Smyter. We’ll have to talk about the dowry and the bride price – Almera’s a decent lass, recent behavior excluding, and I’ll see this done proper. Now what’s your name, lad? Mera’d never give it to me proper."

Onri watches Matthyw effortlessly transform into a devotee of Mother Rhoyne before his eyes. He is tempted to let the charade play out, but the conversation turns to ceremonies, and money changing hands. This causes Onri to try and cut the discussion short. Given that Matthyw has placate the smith somewhat, Onri decides against stoking that fire. Instead he turns his attention to the girl.

“So, Mera, since you know me so intimately, what shape is the scar on my chest?”

{Deception: 20, Success x3}

At Onri’s sharp words, enormous tears well up in Almera’s eyes. She turns and clutches Mattyw coat, and begins sobbing into his shoulder. The smith, formerly somewhat pacified, clenches his fists and wheels on Onri – the tension in his arms is causing him to visibly tremble as he restrains himself.

“You loudmouthed lout! What is the meaning of this? You try to abandon your child, you speak harshly to her – how many tears must she weep for you, boy?” He grits his teeth. “You’d best apologize before I knock your head off – rich skulls crack just as easily as any.”

Mattyw, stunned and staggered, wraps his arms around the girl, patting her back awkwardly at first, as he’s completely taken aback. He quickly composes himself and begins muttering useless platitudes to the girl, while staring at Onri, his eyes wide open, slightly panicked.

“There there… See how the Mother expresses herself through your cleansing tears. Let the bad out, my sweet girl. His words are harsh, but he has always been a closed sort. He meant no harm. There there…”

Onri keeps his focus on the woman. “Do not hide behind others! You’ve tried to hoodwink the wrong person. The truth!” Onri keeps an eye on the smith, ready to jump out of his way if need be.

{Persuasion: Convince: 11, Success}

Thomas the Smith, perceiving yet a further assault on his daughter’s honor, raises one monstrous arm to give Onri a blow, but before he can bring it down, the girl – in a somewhat impressive burst of speed given her condition – shoves Mattyw aside, sending him once more reeling, darts over, and latches onto her father with no less force than she had seized her erstwhile comforter.

“No father, don’t!” She cries.

“Let go, Mera! It’s a father’s duty to protect his daughter’s honor!” The smith tries to extricate himself, but seems unwilling to apply any force. Rather than release him, she sobs something into his ear. The blood seems to drain from Thomas Smyter’s face.

“What?” He swallows and looks at Onri, clearly shaken. “Repeat that, please, Almera. Say it out loud.” The girl collects herself and, convinced her father has no more will to fight, releases him. She turns to face Onri, her head hanging, and her face puffy and red from crying.

“It wasn’t you. I lied. P…p…please, if you must punish me, don’t hold my father resp…sponsible. He didn’t know.” She swallows hard and looks up at Onri.

“Seven above!” The smith puts a hand to his head, clearly completely stunned by the whole affair. He, too, turns to Onri. “Lad, I and mine owe you a debt. Words mean little, though – instead, should you ever find yourself in need of a weapon smith, would you accept my labor as recompense?”

“Thank you, kind smith. I can see you are a man of honor. My lord is participating in the joust. He may have need of your services, if you would be willing,” Onri says, taking off his hat and giving a polite bow.

The smith’s shoulders relax and he smiles in relief.

“It’d be an honor, milord.”

Onri also remembers Areon’s trouble with mistaken identity. Turning to the girl, Onri tries to be as sympathetic as he was scornful. “Almera, I understand that a woman abandoned by a dishonorable man is forced to make hard decisions. Someone has been trying to stir up ill gossip against my lord and his house. Did someone try to put you up to this?”

The girl bites her lip and glances surreptitiously around at the small crowd of onlookers. Sailors sit or stand, tasting a bit of the hair o’ the dog. Longshoremen rest, taking a load off on the crates and barrels that they will shortly have to resume carrying. Fishmongers and other vendors cry the morning’s wares, and glance curiously at the party in the street. Shoppers from all walks also whisper among each other as they go about their business – poor peasants, laborers, artisans, merchants, and even the well-dressed servants of nobles.

{Onri: Awareness: 13, Success: The girl seems to be studying the crowd intently, as if looking for someone.}

{Mattyw: Awareness: Empathy: 16, Success: Shaken as she already was, the girl seems more than hesitant; is she frightened, maybe, to answer Onri’s question?}

“No, um, I…” She swallows and looks at her father.

“You must tell the truth now, Almera, lest we be further dishonored. Go on.” He says. She glances back out into the crowd, then meets Onri’s gaze nervously.

“N-no, milord.” She begins aloud, but then her voice drops nearly to a whisper. “It was m-my plan. B-but would you j-join us for the midday meal, l-later? I w-would like to apologize f-further.” She quickly drops her gaze again.

“It would be my honor,” Onri says with polite bow. “Where may I find you?”

After learning the location, Onri addresses the smith. “I shall bring my lord your offer. In the meantime,” he continues at a lower pitch. “I think it best if you return home. We don’t know who may be watching.” Onri glances around at crowded docks and notes a number of different people who seem quite interested in their little squabble.

{Awareness: 16, Success x2}

One of the longshoremen from before is still resting and watching curiously, although his companion seems to have left with his crates. A fishmonger waves off a customer, staring intently at the group of them. Two women stand under the shade of an awning, pointing, whispering back and forth, and shaking their heads disapprovingly. Perhaps most obviously, a tall, pale man wrapped in a shimmering blue cloak appears to be studying them with a look of concern.

Onri pats Matthyw on the shoulder.“Cheer up! Mother Rhoyne smiles upon her believers, Matthyw the Devout,” Onri says playfully.

Mattyw grumbles and hurls a rock across the waters of the Greenblood, trying to skip it as far as he can. “A gift for her, then. Mother Rhoyne smiles indeed.” He draws himself up, looking Onri square in the eye. “Well, shall we give Vierro the blessing of the Greenblood?”

“Indeed,” Onri says to his companion. “Don’t look so glum. I get drunk sailors and angry fathers. But all the women can’t wait to be comforted by you.” As the two begin to make their way to the Braavosi’s ship, Onri keeps an eye out for anyone following them.

{Awareness: 12, Success}

Onri notes that the longshoreman who had been watching them picks up his crates and begins walking in the same direction as they, although somewhat more slowly. The fishmonger leaves his stand, but Onri loses sight of him. The women and the pale man also seem to vanish into the crowd.

Mattyw scowls briefly, then begins grinning like his old self again. “Right, then! Just once it’d be nice to not be played by one, though. Last honest woman I spoke with was of the night, and that’s a bit depressing.”

Onri walks with Matthyw, looking for an inn. “I think we are being followed. Don’t look, I want them to think they’ve fooled us,” he whispers. When he finds an inn, he leads the bard into the alley behind the building. He walks into the rear entrance, pulling out a silver coin as he enters.

Onri hands the silver the coin to the first person to approach them. “This is for our intrusion. If someone else who doesn’t belong here walks in, I will pay you another silver, and a star to any of your workers who help teach them a lesson for trying to steal your wine,” he says with a wink.

The man looks dumbfounded for a moment, then pockets the coin, shrugs, and says, “As you say, milord.”

Onri finds an inconspicuous seat in a shadowed corner and pulls his hat down low. He watches the entrances to the room like a hawk. Mattyw meanwhile, heads to the bar and quickly begins chatting up a friendly looking barmaid.

{Mattyw: Persuasion: Charm: 11. Mattyw’s not quite feeling on his game, and it shows.}

The maid seems friendly and polite, but doesn’t show any particular interest – she’s clearly quite used to being pursued by patrons.

Both Onri and Mattyw take note when the Longshoreman walks in the front door of the tavern after several minutes. The man scans the crowd conspicuously. Mattyw simply turns to face the bar and continues his conversation as if unconcerned. Onri, however, pulls his hat lower, and the longshoreman pauses to look at him more closely.

{Mattyw: Stealth: Blend In: 11, Success}
{Onri: Stealth: 7, Failure}

Onri tries to play it cool, watching as the Longshoreman slowly tries to work his way across the room. Onri casually gets up and heads back into the kitchen. Once inside, he’ll quickly finds the man he gave the silver coin to and says, “I believe there is a longshoreman who is interested in causing trouble. That bounty I offered still applies.”

The man’s eyes light up, and he quickly calls the cook and the kitchen boys over. With a moment’s thought, he shrugs and brings in the barmaids, too. When the Longshoreman enters, a few minutes after Onri, he never knows what hits him. In moments he is bruised and bloody, and being thrown out the back door. He strikes the flagstones with a grunt, rolls once, and lies in a crumpled heap in the alleyway, groaning.

As the staff begins to rough up the longshoreman, Onri casually does a quick head count of his band of public house sellswords – five Dornish willing to beat a stranger for a bit of coin. By the time his bloodied pursuer is being tossed into the alleyway, Onri is already counting out the money on a cutting board. “As promised, a silver for you, and a star for each of your brave companions,” Onri says to them.

{There were four helpers.}

After paying up, Onri walks out to the common room and finds Matthyw by the counter. “Not by him, at least. We should not overstay our welcome.” The two of them leave in a hurry, walking on down the docks until the spot Maiyo Vierro’s ship.

As he walks Onri whispers to Matthyw, “Before we make our presence known, I want to observe the boat. You never know if or when Ptek’s benefactor is onboard. And we can’t afford to throw away the element of surprise.”

Mattyw throws a smile at Onri. “I’ve always loved suprises. The best is when you’ve fallen asleep in some alley and you wake to the smell of fresh bread in the window above your poor head. Those were the best mornings. I miss them, a bit.” When they reach the boat, Mattyw casts about for means of entry or egress from the captain’s cabin, where he assumes Ptek would be staying. If the ship is of the type that has one, he’ll begin plotting, explaining his idea to Onri in quiet. He’ll point the ship out to Onri, then check the height of the cabin, to see if it’s within reach of two men standing on a skiff together.

{Awareness: 10, Success}

Mattyw spots a porthole window that looks to be at about the right place. It’s difficult, with the glare of the sun, to verify that it looks into the captain’s cabin, though.

Onri listens to Matthyw’s plans. “I am uncertain if I would be able to help. I am fairly graceful, but I don’t do well with the more…shadowy aspects of life on the docks. It would be difficult to remain unseen in a crowded dock. I normally stick to blades and bullsh..” Onri pauses, tipping his hat to an elderly woman passing by with a scowl that indicates her opinion of Onri’s language. Onri continues, at a softer volume. “To be honest, I am hoping to board the ship posing as a customer. If we’re caught, we might lose our chance to get information…or an ally,” Onri concludes in a scheming tone.

Nodding fervently at Onri, he mouths a silent apology to the passing woman before turning back towards Onri, accidentally brushing past a few people in doing so. “I don’t like the way he treated that woman, but if you think he can be valuable to the house, I have no problem giving that a go.” He casts a look at the boat. “With something like that, you don’t bother hiding. You give the people a show. Make it look like something that belongs. But your idea stands less chance of catastrophic, and damp, failure.”

Mattyw quick pitches a divisive intel-gathering mission at Onri, detailing Onri’s straightforward approach as a customer, providing ample distraction for those onboard to allow Mattyw to sneak into the cabin unnoticed.

Mattyw nods to Onri. “Head on up – I’ll delay my approach until you’re on board.”

He watches Onri carefully, judging his progress onto the ship. When he’s aboard, Mattyw stalks down to the docks, looking for a boat to either borrow or rent. Once aboard, he’ll attempt to navigate to underneath the window, trying to judge the best moment to attempt his ascent. There’s a bit of a crowd on the shore, so he begins to sing, dance, and make a small performance out of it, complete with dramatic posing.

During his ascent, jumping and climbing, Mattyw will continue to sing out to the crowd, pausing occasionally to flourish and raise the joviality of his song. On attaining the window, and making sure it is enterable, he successfully picks the lock on-handed, while flourishing grandly with his cloak and making it flap as if it were wings to hold him aloft. Mattyw peeks inside to assure his entrance will go uncontested, finishes up his performance by leaning out the window, blowing kisses to his audience, and then ducks inside to begin his investigation.

{With a Bonus and a Destiny Point spent, I’ll just give this one to you. Mattyw experiences resounding success on his attempt to gain entrance to the boat.}

The room is exactly as the old woman described it. The cabin is furnished finely enough for a great lord, with a soft deep carpet, an overstuffed mattress that looks downright heavenly, and various paintings and art pieces on the walls, including one of a dark-haired woman that immediately strikes Mattyw as familiar. She is quite…scantily clad is the most decent way to put it, if the word clad can be used at all. But there is something about her face, when Mattyw’s eyes eventually find it, that makes him think he’s seen this woman before.

The generously-sized room also contains a heavy oak desk, a table, a few large chests, and a locked cupboard.

Mattyw nods in deference to the painting before shifting his eyes from her chest to the others arrayed in the room. There’s a glint in his eye as his mind furiously works towards revealing the revealed woman’s identity. He sidles over to the locked cupboard first, his eyes studying the painted woman’s painted face, trying to determine where he knows her from.

{Mattyw: Cunning: 12, Success: The woman in the painting is almost certainly Marita Dannet, a noble woman he met the other night.

Mattyw’s mind reels a bit when he realizes he had been staring at Marita. He wonders to himself if Orten knows, or if he would even want to. On the realization, he begins to feel a slight twinge of guilt. He breaks the one-way eye contact when he gets to the lock, bestowing it an almost loving glance. He barely restrains himself from muttering under his breath, “It’s been too long…” before setting to work convincing it to spill it’s secrets.

{Thievery: 16, Success}

After tinkering with the lock and admiring the truly excellent craftsmanship behind it, Mattyw manages to open it without causing any damage. The cupboard contains several rolled up maps with notations scrolled on them in what must be Braavosi, a nearly empty ornate wooden box containing a few pieces of men’s jewelry, a small iron lockbox, and about a dozen jars containing various plants, herbs, insects and bugs, and dead snakes. After surveying its contents and potentially taking a memento or two, he goes about the much more difficult and oft-forgotten art of ‘locking-up’.

The cupboard re-locked, Mattyw moves on to the desk. Its surface is largely bare except for a very large “map of the world”:maps and a stack of what appear to be shipping manifests written in Braavosi. Jars of ink and pens are set neatly into wooden holders. The desk has three drawers – a long one, and two squarish ones.

After thinking for a moment, Mattyw decides to try to bottom-most drawer. He sets his lockpicks and begins attempting to turn the lock. {Thievery: 6, Critical Failure} As he turns his picks, he feels a prick on one of his knuckles and jerks backward, inadvertently yanking the drawer open – he hears metal snap as the lock breaks {1 Bonus Point}. A quick look reveals a tiny needle poking out of an equally tiny orifice in the lock’s metal face. Mattyw looks at his knuckle and sees a single drop of blood forming. Suddenly he feels very drowsy.

Realizing that he has been poisoned, Mattyw acts quickly. Glancing into the drawer, he scoops up a ledger and a small leather-bound pocket book. Then he stumbles woozily over to the trunk by Vierro’s bed, the one the woman on the street told him about. {1 Bonus Point} He is momentarily surprised to find it unlocked. Lifting the lid open, he finds several silk sheets. Mattyw shifts them to the side and discovers several glass vials of some unidentifiable clear liquid – there’s just something about it that makes him sure it’s not water. He also finds a small gold medallion, finely crafted and featuring an intricate dragon emblem. He snatches up the medallion and three of the vials.

When he stands up, he feels wobbly, and nearly keels over on the spot. He tries to reach down and close the chest, but the lid slips away and slams shut. The loud noise seems to shock him back to wakefulness, and, sparing a glance for the door, he walks along the wall to the porthole, opens it, and climbs out.

{Poison: 4d6 versus 8+2 (1 Bonus Point): 12, Success}

It’s all he can do to point himself in the direction of the boat below before darkness descends on his eyes.

{Falling damage: 1 Injury}

In the heat of the midday sun, the docks are nearly empty, and any hands on the ship who might have heard the thunk of Mattyw’s body landing in the boat must be below decks. The small boat rocks quietly in the water while Mattyw dreams.

Complete
______________________________________________________________
Meanwhile…

Onri approaches the ship, confidently striding up the gangplank. He walks to the nearest sailor and says, “I wish to conduct business with Maiyo Vierro. Where may I find him?”

The Braavosi sailor stares at Onri blankly. He is rescued, however, when the ship’s captain himself emerges from the hold.

“Maiyo Vierro is this one’s name, my good lord. What service may Maiyo render today?” The man asks. He is finely dressed in bright silks, and heavily perfumed. Gold earrings, rings, and necklaces complete a portrait of stark wealth.

“Well met,” Onri says to the man. “Someone told me that you were the merchant to see when one seeks … exotic wares.” Maiyo Vierro smiles and bows slightly.

{Deception: Charm: 19, Success x3: Vierro is not only flattered, but believes he knows the kind of wares Onri is talking about.}

“A man is glad to serve, my good lord. The spices and flavors of all the world wait your delight in my hold. But a man must know – does a lord prepare to feast his friends, or his enemies?” The Braavosi merchant appears to be studying Onri closely, waiting for his response.

Onri smiles as he replies, “I’m looking to make a dish that would silence even my harshest critic.”

{Onri Doryc: Deception: Bluff: Worldly: 23, Success x3}

Vierro invites Onri to join him for a more in-depth discussion of his needs and options in “a more private environment.” As they walk across the ship’s deck, Onri attempts to engage Vierro in discussion about recent troubles in Dorne, but, while polite, Vierro avows having no knowledge of Dornish lands, other than the young Prince’s current celebration. Vierro leads Onri to a stately, though somewhat spartan, room that appears to be the Braavosi Captain’s office.

“So,” Vierro says after closing the door. “there is only one friend in Sunspear who could have told you the pass words. How is the would-be lordling? A humble merchant trusts the delivery was made satisfactorily?”

At Onri’s nod of assent, the Braavosi seems to relax. “Then a merchant wonders why you have come,” he says. A flash a concern creases his brow. “The lordling’s elder sister is well, yes?”

“I’m not sure I’m familiar with his sister…” Onri says, trailing off inquisitively.

Vierro studies him, his gaze piercing. After a moment, he nods. “A wise Dornishman would not seek to become so, unless he wished to meet his Stranger. But why then has the young lord come? The relic has been delivered, evidence intact. The messenger’s body floats out with the tides. What more can the lordling ask? Were it not for she, the star of this man’s sea, patience would already have come and gone, and there would be blood.” The passion in the merchant’s voice grows as he speaks, although it’s clear he’s not merely angry.

Onri notes the Braavosi’s frustration, and affection, as he speaks of the lordling’s sister. With no small amount of satisfaction, Onri believes he has found the leverage to use on Ptek. “I can tell that your emotions run deep for her. And it is why I have come to speak with you. I do not claim to know every detail our benefactor’s plan, but I’ve come to suspect that it involves removing all of his loose ends. As it is, he has a persuasive prize that he is using to retain your services. Do you believe he would ever give her up while he still has use for you? More importantly, do you believe he will let you leave Sunspear, with his sister in tow, once you are of no more use to him?”

{Onri: Deception: Convince: 21, Success x3}

“Marita…” The Braavosi merchant whispers the name quietly to himself. “No one will take her from me. No one will keep us apart!” Barely contained anger seems to dance behind the man’s eyes. He breathes deeply and evenly.

{Glarus Ptek: Cunning: 5, Failure; Glarus does not suspect he is being provoked.}

“I don’t know what prize the lordling holds over a man, but know this: The word of Glarus Ptek is as sure as death. Agony and death follow a man who thinks otherwise.” He takes another deep breath, seeming to rein in his emotions. “Why has a young noble come here, called attention to the slithering of a snake? What betrayal does a bold man fear from the lordling? And what can Glarus Ptek do to help?”

At Ptek’s words, Onri remembers Matthyw’s adventures from the night before. He answers, “I don’t know his grand plan, and I suspect no one but Orten can claim different. But sometimes a fisherman can be caught in his own net. And, if he is caught, I’m certain the scandal would destroy his sister’s betrothal and allow her to slip away with no one to go after her. But first, we need to put our pieces together. I know that he intends to pit House Lugus against House Corinthyen. I know that he intends to use your unique wares. But I do not know his target, nor what his intended prize is. What can you tell me about our employer?”

{Onri: Deception: Convince + Bonus Point, 17, Success x2}

{Onri: Awareness: 13}

Ptek considers his next words for a few moments.

“This man knows little about the lordling’s plans. He is a customer, yes, and wishes death among both Lugus and Corinthyen, true. The potion, if drunk, will leave only tears behind – there is no cure for this. But a lordling’s targets and goals? Such things do not enter into a merchant’s business.” Ptek smiles slyly. “But a clever man might learn more, if he knew where to look. Though the lordling sleeps on the tourney field, there is a ship moored in the bay which flies the colors of House Dannet.”

Ptek provides Onri with the location of the ship, and urges him to return should he uncover anything mutually interesting – or should he require more forceful assistance.

{COMPLETE}

Comments

//When you’re ready to move into the day’s happenings, postem rightem herem.

 

//Ignore previous comment!

Mattyw wrinkles his nose as he looks around. “The Braavosi women don’t smell of fish, do they? I don’t think I could stand it if they did.” He stops momentarily at a stall to marvel at the sheer number of different fish available.

He turns to Onri as they walk. “So, what’s this visit all about? Where are we going?” He very deliberately strikes up the mannerism of a bouncing jovial kid as they trot along, prodding Onri for information.

 

Areon will look at Giselle as they are navigating the markets, “Where are we headed, Lady Montkillier?”

 

Onri laughs at Matthyw’s question, but refrains from sharing the lewd remark he thought up in his mind. He looks wistfully at the Greenblood noting the brightly painted ships of the Orphans. “My mother was one of the Orphans. They used to to call her the Maid of the Greenblood. Now they call her the Lady of Surehaven. But you were asking about our errand. We are going to whichever flophouse is closest to the dock. The common room will be crawling with sailors. Perhaps they will be able to tell us more about the Braavosi merchant.”

 

Mattyw smiles at her gently. “Too kind, gentle soul. If it were any other day for you, I would gladly take you up on the offer. Care to tell me where he took you for the night? Which ship, on which mooring?” He thinks, then smiles gently. “I’d like to think you could even rest yourself today, and shop for a bit.”

He dips his hand into his pouch and gently presses a silver stag ino her hand. After listening to her tale, he smiles, kisses her forehead gently, presses a finger to his lips, winks, and stalks off to find Onri. He pulls up alongside him and begins: “You’ll never believe what I’ve just learned…”
and relates to him all of the information about Vierro’s location.

 

“I need to find someone well versed in history, weaponry, and likely nobility (based on the value of the item in question),” Giselle replies, subtly leaning the box towards him and lifting the hinged lid in his direction as they walk. “If there were someone that could cover all three, and pinpoint where this item came from…and possibly why it came to ME…it would be nice…I was planing on beginning with the largest set of archives I could find. You input is always welcome, of course. I apologize for the secrecy at the inn, but I feel this matter is a bit too delicate for quiet parlors and the ears of strangers. I like this situation not at all.”

 

//Did Onri find out what Maiyo Vierro’s real name is?

Onri listens to Matthyw’s information. In a low voice, he says, “A spice and liquor merchant who gets upset when a whore looks at his wares? Hardly seems like good business. I’ll bet silver against copper those bottles had poison in them, or worse. Perhaps House Lugus hired him. Maybe Iris Lugus is the woman in the portrait. I think it’s time to visit the man who calls himself Maiyo Vierro.” Onri looks at Matthyw, to see if he is ready to continue.

Standing up, Onri stretches his back and addresses his companion. “Come, troubadour just and true! Adventure awaits, and you may have a house indebted to you before sunset.”

 

//Onri was unable to convince the sailor to reveal it – the man never meant to reveal that fact, and no amount of ale would loosen his tongue – you could try other means of pressing him for information. Advanced Interrogation Techniques, if you will?

 

Mattyw blanches at the mention of poison, grumbling under his breath, “I’d rather they be indebted to me for my voice, rather than martyrdom, Onri.” Regardless, he rises and nods. “Into the songs of glory, my Friend.” Mattyw checks to see if all of his wits are about him, and finding a few missing, takes a last stiff drink before signalling his readiness.

 

//Waiting, by the by, for feedback from Onri or Giselle on what exactly they want to do next.

 

//PM sent to you, mighty GM.

 

//Areon is curious what is in the box before his next comment.

 

//It’s an ornately carved dragonbone dagger. Exact description is in one of these threads somewhere. It’s the anonymous delivery that was for me this morning at the inn.

 

//I’m not sure, now, if I shared it before. Here it is again: a wicked looking curved knife – Valyrian steel with a dragonbone handle. A closer look reveals that the handle is hollowed out, and holds a tiny vial with a few drops of clear liquid in it.

 

//She won’t be taking it out of the box in public, but she’ll mention the hollowed out with a vial in it part.

 

//I’m going to try to incite the sailor to reveal more. This might be better placed before reconvening with Matthyw. I’ll leave it to your judgement.

Onri raises an eyebrow quizzically at the sailor. “It seems very strange that you would be so willing to protect a man who disrespected you so. Considering he must hide his name, I imagine any misfortune he receives would be just desserts.”

 

//Updated for Onri. Still thinking it over, Poutine_Paladin?

 

Onri returns the squint. “I assure you, I’m very discrete. Better yet, I’m sure one of the hooligans how roughed you up would make for an excellent fall guy.”

//Roll Persuasion!

 

//I was waiting on a response from Areon about the situation, but I’ll put my two bits in.

Giselle mentions that she is hesitant to bring the weapon near the Martells, despite their archives and experts being the most likely to have some knowledge to share, as it’s clear in her mind that it will be seen in a poor light (especially considering the talk surrounding house Corinthyen recently) and possibly a threat to their family, and that she’s leaning towards the Maester’s conclave for a starting point. “I wish I was more comfortable with the underside of society, as I once was…in another life,” she adds almost wistfully, “as they are likely our best hope of solving this riddle. But I wouldn’t know where to start.”

 

//Updates for Onri and Mattyw (check midway through for Onri’s intrigue with the sailor), and a smaller one for Areon and Giselle.
//Do Giselle and Areon want to pursue the lead at the Conclave for sure, then, or are we still considering the underworld option?

 

//Sorry, busy last few days!

Areon will ponder for a moment, before replying, “You are right that this would not look good, given the recent false rumors regarding our house of late. There is only one reason I can think of for the small vial after all. As much as I hate to admit it, something like this might be better recognized by the less favorable element of Sunspear. Perhaps Mattyw might know how we might begin our search?”

 

“That’s him, father!” A young woman shouts. “He’s responsible. He said he loved me, but now he’s trying to take ship and leave!”

Looking back through the morning crowd, Mattyw and Onri see a somewhat pretty young peasant girl pointing in their general direction – no more than 17 or 18, by the look of her, and with just a hint of a baby bump beneath her dress. Next to her, red-faced and fuming, stands a middle-aged man with the bullish chest and broad shoulders of a lifelong blacksmith. He’s wearing a soot-stained leather apron, and a heavy-looking steel hammer gleams in a thong at his side. As they watch, he turns and begins to stride forward, apparently straight toward them.

Mattyw casts a sidelong look at Onri, groaning inwards. He smiles, locking eyes with the bull, stepping forward carefully, measuredly, hands well away from his blade. “Good smith! I had hoped I’d run into a craftsman here – it’s naught been but traders and conniving sniv’lers my entire visit. Not a good honest craftman in the whole bunch. Have you ever seen one of those Braavosi blades, with a basket hilt? I’ve always wanted to acquire one, and am looking for a good quality smith to do the work.” Mattyw takes a quick breath and whets his lips before continuing, feeling his mouth getting dry rapidly as he approaches the smith.

“I’m not positive what offence my friend may have committed, but I am certain he is not the cause of your beautiful daughters woes. He’s not been to Sunspear before, and has little more than just set off ship a day or two ago. I don’t think your wonderful girl would be showing quite that soon. I’m sure that we can overlook this, shake, be friends, and find some way to put this all behind us, no?”

Mattyw curses himself inwardly at his lack of tact as he cautiously extends his hand out to the smith, glancing nervously at the man’s massive mitts. He remains smiling, eyes never having left the smith’s.

 

//Onri is going to roll for knowledge to see what he knows about Ptek.

Onri turns to see the large smith stomping towards him, and wonders what it is about walking by the water that always seems to end with him staring down a large, angry man. As Matthyw begins talking to the man, Onri holds his tongue for the moment, allowing his companion to take the lead. However, he quietly adjusts his footing, in case he has to pull Matthyw out of the smith’s reach.

 

//Updates all around. Areon and Giselle, if you didn’t want to go straight to Mattyw, just say what you wanted to do instead and I’ll retro that.
//Mattyw, note that you have a request for response from the past up in the other section of this log. You may recall that your Contacts in SUnspear are listed at the bottom of this page.

 

//Temporal Confusion COMMENCE!

Torn by the powers of will and fate, Mattyw blinks wildly at Areon and Giselle, as though wondering what they were doing there. His surprise quickly fades at the seriousness of their situation.

“I see… so when you think of the dangerous and uncouth parts of this cities’ politik, you think of me, do you?” He grins. “Fair enough. There are three options I can present to you. One you’ll like, one you’ll loathe, and one who might find the information you seek.”

He pauses for effect, until it looks like Areon might hit him. “Seek the Jade Spring. The Madam there knows me, and will gladly help you. Might be a bit cheaper if you introduced yourself to Miss Kestrel as being friends of mine. Cheaper for other services too I wager. It is a House of Moon Flowers after all.”

“You could seek out the King of Beggars, Kipling. He’s free with his tales, as long as they may be, for a copper or two. But he hears the streets, and not always that which is beyond closed doors.”

“But if you’re looking for things that crawl beneath the streets, you can crawl no lower than to Odorous. No, Giselle, that’s not his real name. Just his nom de crime. His real name is Odell, and his favors run costly. It might be he can help you, though – there’s not much against the law he does not know.”

//And on our regularly scheduled timeline…

Mattyw curses himself, and casts about, looking for a solution, before his eyes set on a barge belonging to the Orphans of the Greenblood. He bows his head for a second, his hands making a long, twisting line in the sand beneath him before rising slowly, making his fall to one knee seem quite intentional. “Good sir, if it was a wedding you seek, look no further! I take no offense to your words, kind sir, to your assumption that I am a page. I am but a humble servant of Mother Rhoyne, my hands soft from bathing in her waters.” During his speech, he will have backed up towards the smith’s daughter, and at this part will reach for, and hopefully take, her hand. “I said before that we could put this behind us – perhaps we can flow forward into the future from this moment, starting with a marriage? I am licensed to perform them, you see…”

 

Mattyw smiles benevolently at the smith. “It is nothing, good sir – it is but the duty of water to flow around the immobile, to bow in the face of force.”

He nods thoughtfully at the smith’s words. “Before the day is out is fine, noble earthforger. But you have made claim to marriage here, on the Greenblood – you may have your marriage in the sept, sir, but respect and honor demands you let the Mother Rhoyne give her blessings first. Then, when time has gone and your wonderful lass has had time to prepare her beauty to even greater heights, we may adjourn to the Sept to have the ceremony you desire.”

He looks at the man placidly before continuing. “Shall we get this marriage underway, sir?” His eyes now lock onto Onri’s.

 

//This is hilarious. For clarification, is Smyter expecting me to pay him to marry his daughter, or vice versa?

Onri watches Matthyw effortlessly transform into a devotee of Mother Rhoyne before his eyes. He is tempted to let the charade play out, but the conversation turns to ceremonies, and money changing hands. This causes Onri to try and cut the discussion short. Given that Matthyw has placate the smith somewhat, Onri decides against stoking that fire. Instead he turns his attention to the girl.

“So, Mera, since you know me so intimately, what shape is the scar on my chest?”

//Roll Deception Incite/Taunt? (Onri has no such scar on his chest)

 

//Glad you’re enjoying it, too! Um, possibly both – if this marriage thing plays out, there’ll be some rolls for negotiation. Of course, if he gets mad enough and the girl’s story doesn’t change, there’ll be some other rolls. :-D

 

Mattyw, stunned and staggered, wraps his arms around the girl, patting her back awkwardly at first, as he’s completely taken aback. He quickly composes himself and begins muttering useless platitudes to the girl, while staring at Onri, his eyes wide open, slightly panicked.

“There there… See how the Mother expresses herself through your cleansing tears. Let the bad out, my sweet girl. His words are harsh, but he has always been a closed sort. He meant no harm. There there…”

 

Areon will wait for Mattyw’s dramatics before answering. “I leave it up to your discretion Castellan, I will accompany you for your protection, but I’m afraid I’m not very good at… gathering information.”

 

Onri keeps his focus on the woman. “Do not hide behind others! You’ve tried to hoodwink the wrong person. The truth!” Onri keeps an eye on the smith, ready to jump out of his way if need be.

 

//I forgot…Roll Persuasion/Convince

 

“I think we head for the Jade Spring, and see what we can turn up there. If things don’t work out how we’d hope, it seems to me they might be able to aim us towards this Odell fellow,” says Giselle. “My thanks, Mattyw. Might you point us in the right direction? I fear I’ve forgotten mor than I remember about this great city. And at what hour are we expected at the festivities this evening? Or shall we meet to arrive together?”

 

Mattyw nods and gives Giselle directions to the Jade Spring, but grudgingly to Odell. He admits to not knowing when they are required at the festivities, or the plan, but would gladly acquiesce to Giselle’s plan.

 

//Updated on all fronts!

 

“Let us meet at the Grand Chameleon, then,” Giselle will add before departing. “Assuming that’s still its name. It’s an inn and tavern just inside the city gates with a large bell-tower. Perhaps we meet for a drink before heading out to the festivities? I feel we may need one by then.”

//assuming this plan is accepted, Giselle will ask Areon to accompany her again and head off to the Jade Spring.

 

“Thank you, kind smith. I can see you are a man of honor. My lord is participating in the joust. He may have need of your services, if you would be willing,” Onri says, taking off his hat and giving a polite bow.

Onri also remembers Areon’s trouble with mistaken identity. Turning to the girl, Onri tries to be as sympathetic as he was scornful. “Almera, I understand that a woman abandoned by a dishonorable man is forced to make hard decisions. Someone has been trying to stir up ill gossip against my lord and his house. Did someone try to put you up to this?”

//Roll Persuasion/Charm

 

Mattyw staggers to the side, barely managing to prevent himself from toppling into the Greenblood. He shoots the girl a look filled with venom before grumbling to himself and sitting down at the edge of the boardwalk, dangling his legs over the edge, trying to sooth his bruised body and battered ego by gazing across the waters before him.

 

Areon will shift about uncomfortable in view of all the uncovered flesh. He will look between the Madam and Giselle, moving his mouth as if to speak, before settling into uncomfortable stillness at Giselle’s side. He will look to her to speak first.

 

“It would be my honor,” Onri says with polite bow. “Where may I find you?”

After learning the location, Onri addresses the smith. “I shall bring my lord your offer. In the meantime,” he continues at a lower pitch. “I think it best if you return home. We don’t know who may be watching.”

//Roll awareness to see if anyone suspicious is eavesdropping.

Onri pats Matthyw on the shoulder.“Cheer up! Mother Rhoyne smiles upon her believers, Matthyw the Devout,” Onri says playfully.

 

Mattyw grumbles and hurls a rock across the waters of the Greenblood, trying to skip it as far as he can. “A gift for her, then. Mother Rhoyne smiles indeed.” He draws himself up, looking Onri square in the eye. “Well, shall we give Vierro the blessing of the Greenblood?”

 

“Miss Kestrel,” Giselle bows fluidly, “we have been directed to you by a compatriot, the talented bard and a close personal friend, Mattyw, to seek not your surely fine services, but your extensive knowledge in hopes of resolving a matter of some delicacy.” She looks around as if to indicate she would like to speak more privately and brushes her coin pouch.

 

//The coin pouch “brush” was intended to produce some jingling, in case that wasn’t obvious. haha

 

“Indeed,” Onri says to his companion. “Don’t look so glum. I get drunk sailors and angry fathers. But all the women can’t wait to be comforted by you.” As the two begin to make their way to the Braavosi’s ship, Onri keeps an eye out for anyone following them.

//Roll Awareness

As he walks he whispers to Matthyw, “Before we make our presence known, I want to observe the boat. You never know if or when Ptek’s benefactor is onboard. And we can’t afford to throw away the element of surprise.”

 

Mattyw scowls briefly, then begins grinning like his old self again. “Right, then! Just once it’d be nice to not be played by one, though. Last honest woman I spoke with was of the night, and that’s a bit depressing.”

He throws a smile at Onri. “I’ve always loved suprises. The best is when you’ve fallen asleep in some alley and you wake to the smell of fresh bread in the window above your poor head. Those were the best mornings. I miss them, a bit.” When they reach the boat, Mattyw casts about for means of entry or egress from the captain’s cabin, where he assumes Ptek would be staying. If the ship is of the type that has one, he’ll begin plotting, explaining his idea to Onri in quiet. He’ll point the ship out to Onri, then check the height of the cabin, to see if it’s within reach of two men standing on a skiff together.

If it appears to be, Mattyw will begin trying to obtain a small boat/skiff to position them under the windows and then attempt to boost Onri up to the window.

//Of course, this is IF the ship has a visible captain’s cabin. Big presumptions, I know, but I just wanted to get the plan out in broad strokes before I forgot about it. Feel free to ignore/redact/change bits of it.

 

//Sorry for the slowness this week – hectic start, but things are smoothing out. Also, updated!

//Areon & Giselle: We don’t have to play out the conversation if you just lay out your specific questions for me. But we can if you want.

//Mattyw & Onri: Are we doing anything about people who appear to be watching/following? Also, by two men standing in a skiff, do you mean one on the other’s shoulders? I wasn’t clear on that bit.

 

//In hopes of clarifying matters, one man being lifted up by the other, whether by standing on shoulders or an old fashioned two handed boost.

//Ah, bystanders! I think if we get far enough that Onri agrees to Mattyw’s plan, he’d likely try and turn it into a performance – a sort of Greenblood Acrobatics troupe with singing act.

 

//Okay, so there are a number of small boats and skiffs tied up at nearby docks. If Onri is agreeable, do we want to try to buy, rent, or “borrow” one? Also, remember those Bonus Points and Destiny Points! You may need some to pull this off…

 

//I think it entirely depends on the situation – if there are a lot of people about, renting may be an option. If it comes to that, try and make sure they actually OWN the thing. If there aren’t too many people about on the docks, liberating one may be an option. Depends on how many Law Enforcement types are about. Although this all does hinge on Onri. At least I’ve found a use for those Bonus Points at last! I may need to write a few songs to make up for this…

 

//I’m not huge on playing out long conversations in PbP, but if Areon wants to chime in specifically on anything, we can do it that way. I basically want to first try to gain a level of if not friendship then at least mutual trust, and present the situation to her about the mysterious delivery of the dagger (being sure to mention the rumours and troubles we’ve come across as a house as of late) and gauge her response…or at least have her point us to someone who might know more, making it clear that we prefer to keep it on the DL. It is a casual conversation, but serious in both tone and content.

 

//Update for Areon and Giselle – some juicy gossip for ya.

 

Onri walks with Matthyw, looking for an inn. “I think we are being followed. Don’t look, I want them to think they’ve fooled us,” he whispers. When he finds an inn, he leads the bard into the alley behind the building. He walks into the rear entrance, pulling out a silver coin as he enters.

To the first person to approach them, Onri hands the silver to them. “This is for our intrusion. If someone else who doesn’t belong here walks in, I will pay you another silver, and a star to any of your workers who help teach them a lesson for trying to steal your wine,” he says with a wink.

 

//Onri and Mattyw: How long will you wait in the Inn, at the very longest, to see if anyone follows you in?

 

//I don’t know how long we’ll be there – that’s Onri’s call. Two scenarios for Mattyw.

//Short Time

After looking around the bar, being slightly bewildered from ducking in there so suddenly, he finds a barmaid to chat up, casting an occasional glance over towards Onri to make sure he stays out of trouble.

//Longer term

Casting about the bar, Mattyw looks for a place to ply a song or two, seeking out those who seem to have a charitable disposition to direct his tales of wonder at. He glances occasionally at Onri to make sure he stays out of trouble.

 

Giselle turns to Areon, “What say you, friend? Shall we find this Ruben Piper? I should like to get this matter if not resolved at least understood before the festival gets too far along. I’m not sure we want Lugus spewing filth of Corinthyen all over Sunspear while all of Dorne is present…though perhaps if we confront the issue in front of the masses, ’twould be a better lesson for them?”

She turns to the madam, “I thank you so much, good lady, for your help in this matter. Might I ask that you keep your ears open on the matter? It would be good to have a local set of senses to be able to turn to, for we are flying quite blind here, as they say.”

 

//Updated for Areon and Giselle. If you want, you can just give me a general idea as to how you want to approach Piper, and I’ll make some rolls to see how it goes. Or we can RP the whole thing. Your call.

 

//Sorry I’m not as good at keeping up as I should be :P, although Areon is pretty terrible at this stuff anyway.

During the walk to find Piper, Areon will finally offer his insights on the situation. “Castellan, it occurs to me that Ruben Piper might not be interested in talking to representatives of Corinthyen. Given the current animosity between our house and the house he hopes to enter, I wouldn’t blame him. We need to either offer him something he can’t refuse, or approach him under some sort of ruse.” Areon will think for a moment. “All I can think of to offer this man would be assistance in finding his betrothed, Iris. Otherwise, I think our house colors might actually be a detriment to our cause. What are your thoughts?”

 

//I think we’ll wait 15 minutes or so in the common room, In case the guy enters from the front.

 

//Updated all around.

//gaaran: Poutine_Paladin is off gallivanting about with the family for a week, so I will be portraying Giselle. So I’d prefer to leave most of the decision making to you – it’s hard to separate knowledge of future events out, you know?

//Onri: Would you like to spend a Bonus or Destiny Point to try and make that failed Stealth roll? Or are we good with being noticed?

 

//Mattyw off his game is right! With all the junk that’s happened recently, I doubt he’d be able to carry a tune at this present time. At least I can blend into the shadows like the best of them. Who knew, big showy bard blending in? Hoozah! I suppose I’ll try to keep an eye on Onri since the girl is just being pleasant with me though.

 

//Sorry for the delay. Internet connectivity shenanigans. I’ll accept the failed roll.

Onri tries to play it cool, waiting a minute or so. He will then casually get up and head back into the kitchen. Once inside, he’ll try to find the man he gave the silver coin to and say, “I believe there is a longshoreman who is interested in causing trouble. That bounty I offered still applies.”

 

At the first sounds of conflict, Mattyw cringes and finds someplace inconspicuous to hide, leaping behind the bar out of shear panic. After the man is unceremoniously dumped outside, he slowly emerges from his hiding spot, trying to play it off as naturally as possible before realizing the barman is staring at him with a dangerous glint in his eye.

Mattyw leaps back over the counter like a frightened hare and quickly finds Onri. “I take it we’re no longer being followed?”

 

As the staff begins to rough up the longshoreman, Onri casually does a quick head count of his band of public house sellswords. By the time his bloodied pursuer is being tossed into the alleyway, Onri is already counting out the money on a cutting board. “As promised, a silver for you, and a star for each of your brave companions,” Onri says to them.

After paying up, Onri walks out to the common room and finds Matthyw by the counter. “Not by him, at least. We should not overstay our welcome.”

 

//Updated! Looking for responses from Areon, Onri, and/or Mattyw.

//P.S. I’m going to do XP and a Destiny Point Refresh at the end of this in-game day, since the Tourney starts in the morning. Don’t hold back!

 

//I can’t think of anything that Mattyw’d do at that point, aside from explain his plan to Onri. If he decides to go with it, there’ll be a bit of derring do on my end to fit our acrobatics act, but I don’t know if I can do much until we hear from Onri.

 

Onri listens to Matthyw’s plans. “I am uncertain if I would be able to help. I am fairly graceful, but I don’t do well with the more…shadowy aspects of life on the docks. It would be difficult to remain unseen in a crowded dock. I normally stick to blades and bullsh..” Onri pauses, tipping his hat to an elderly woman passing by with a scowl that indicates her opinion of Onri’s language. Onri continues, at a softer volume. “To be honest, I am hoping to board the ship posing as a customer. If we’re caught, we might lose our chance to get information…or an ally,” Onri concludes in a scheming tone.

 

Nodding fervently at Onri, he mouths a silent apology to the passing woman before turning back towards Onri, accidentally brushing past a few people in doing so. “I don’t like the way he treated that woman, but if you think he can be valuable to the house, I have no problem giving that a go.” He casts a look at the boat. “With something like that, you don’t bother hiding. You give the people a show. Make it look like something that belongs. But your idea stands less chance of catastrophic, and damp, failure.”

 

//GM’s Trouble-Making Suggestion: Combine them! A Customer and a Thief to get max intel! It’s like a spy movie! Mwahahahahaha!

 

//I totally am up for that, if the cabin looks reachable with one person alone.

Mattyw quick pitches a divisive intel-gathering mission at Onri, detailing Onri’s straightforward approach as a customer, providing ample distraction for those onboard to allow Mattyw to sneak into the cabin unnoticed.

//Wahey! I wish i had thought of that!

 

//Back from gallavanting.

Giselle considers. “I had hoped to pursue this ‘missing Lugus woman’ problem before I knew of their apparent problem with us,” she says. “Mayhaps we can pursue the proverbial ‘two birds with one stone’ solution here, my friend. Do you think it might be possible to quell this feud by finding this betrothed, and the genuine offer to assist may help lead to the solution of the dagger mystery, as well? I should hope goodness, friendship, nobility, and trust is not completely lost in these times.”

 

//Sounds like a plan!

Onri listens to Matthyw’s plan. “This could work. Do you want me to wait a bit while you prepare, or should I go first to distract him from your approach?”

 

//Say, if anyone is up for some Google chats to move these two threads along, let me know. Otherwise, looks like we’re looking for response from Mattyw and Areon.

 

// Back from the hectic weekend!

“Those are words that I can agree with, Castellan,” Areon will look pleased with Giselle’s chosen course of action. “I, too, want this unwarranted animosity between our houses to come to an end. Shall we come to piper with an honest tale? It seems like it might catch him off guard in these troubled times.” //Areon is ready to go to Piper and offer his assistance, to move things along.

 

//I am whenever timing is right.

Mattyw nods to Onri. “Head on up – I’ll delay my approach until you’re on board.”

He watches Onri carefully, judging his progress onto the ship. When he’s aboard, Mattyw stalks down to the docks, looking for a boat to either borrow or rent. Once aboard, he’ll attempt to navigate to underneath the window, trying to judge the best moment to attempt his ascent. If there’s a bit of a crowd on the shore, he’ll begin to sing, dance, and make a small performance out of it, complete with dramatic posing.

//During the ascent, a Bonus Point would be spent to aide the endeavor :) A Destiny Point for the perfomance too, as well.

During his ascent, jumping or climbing, he will continue to sing out to the crowd, pausing occasionally to flourish and raise the joviality of his song. On attaining the window, and making sure it is enterable, either picking the lock (if necessary), while performing some other distracting action, and peeking inside to assure his entrance goes uncontested. If so, he’ll finish up his performance leaning out the window, blowing kisses to his audience, before ducking inside to begin his investigation, which he’ll start in earnest.

 

Onri approaches the ship, confidently striding up the gangplank. He walks to the nearest sailor and says, “I wish to conduct business with Maiyo Vierro. Where may I find him?”

 

“Agreed, my friend,” Giselle says almost happily. “We will trust in the goodness of people to recognize the truth, and bring to a close this dispute, though I would like to learn the cause of it, because I have a feeling there is a deeper layer of deviousness here…though I know not why I feel thusly. I only hope that we are not misjudged by those we genuinely approach in good faith. It seems that too many are too mistrusting these days. Perhaps it has always been so.”

//Also ready to move on…however that goes. Sorry I wasn’t posting, but I was expecting my inbox to let me know when things had happened, and it did not.

 

//Updates in progress, just typing them out. They will be posted within the hour.

 

Mattyw nods in deference to the painting before shifting his eyes from her chest to the others arrayed in the room. There’s a glint in his eye as his mind furiously works towards revealing the revealed woman’s identity.

//That last paragraph was very diffcult to write without resorting to crude punning, for some reason.

He sidles over to the locked cupboard first, his eyes studying the painted woman’s painted face, trying to determine where he knows her from. He breaks the one-way eye contact when he gets to the lock, bestowing it an almost loving glance. He barely restrains himself from muttering under his breath, “It’s been too long…” before setting to work convincing it to spill it’s secrets. After surveying it’s contents and potentially taking a memento or two, he goes about the much more difficult and oft-forgotten art of ‘locking-up’. Time permitting he’ll investigate the desk, then anything on the table, and then the chests, looking for valuables and anything of value to report to Onri.

 

“Well met,” Onri says to the man. “Someone told me that you were the merchant to see when one seeks … exotic wares.”

//Roll Deception – Charm

 

Mattyw’s mind reels a bit when he realizes he had been staring at Marita. He wonders to himself if Orten knows, or if he would even want to. On the realization, he begins to feel a slight twinge of guilt.

 

//Updates for Mattyw and Onri!

 

//I like the pacing increase, I’m okay with minutia being narrated like that :).

“You are well informed, Master Piper, we had only just started looking for you. I thank your for your hospitality.” Areon will pull out a seat, and gesture for Giselle to sit, “My lady.” Areon will then take a seat himself. “I, for one, could use a good meal after running all over the city today.”

//Areon is content to eat before discussing business, but if Giselle has anything to say, then I will join in if appropriate.

 

Onri smiles as he replies, “I’m looking to make a dish that would silence even my harshest critic.”

 

“The most precious gift of all, friend,” Giselle says, “The gift of peace. Our lord knows nothing of our endeavor, but we do carry it out in his name. We are hoping to find the source of all this….let us say ‘contention’ between our house and Lugus’ as we honestly know not what caused it, and like not at all where it looks to be headed.”

 

//Areon will wait for Giselle and Piper to actually come to the point before chiming in (unless asked a question of course).

 

//Not sure if you all saw my forum post or not – I thought I sent out an email update, but now I’m not sure. Anyway, I just finished up doing my jury duty this afternoon, so probably don’t hold out your hopes for an update. I will try to get to it, but it seems unlikely. Too much catch-up to play this afternoon, I’m afraid, and moving to do this weekend. However, I will definitely see you all bright and early Monday morning!

 

//Updates for Areon, Giselle, and Onri!

 

//Can you delete the first post? i copied the text of the log so i wouldn’t have to go back and forth reading it.

“Your disbelief was well founded. What do you think more likely? That one of our soldiers, after successfully completing their mission left behind an intact shield, bearing our house logo, or that a mutual enemy wishes to spark a feud between our houses? I cannot presume to know all of my Lord’s plans, however I can assure you that a war between our houses is not in our best interest.” Areon will pause for a drink of wine, “We come to you to offer our assistance in a good faith gesture. The Castellan will offer you the details,” Areon will wait for Giselle to speak.

 

Onri notes the Braavosi’s frustration, and affection, as he speaks of the lordling’s sister. With no small of of satisfaction, Onri believes he has found the leverage to use on Ptek. “I can tell that your emotions run deep for her. And it is why I have come to speak with you. I do not claim to know every detail our benefactor’s plan, but I’ve come to suspect that it involves removing all of his loose ends. As it is, he has a persuasive prize that he is using to retain your services. Do you believe he would ever give her up while he still has use for you? More importantly, do you believe he will let you leave Sunspear, with his sister in tow, once you are of no more use to him?”

//Roll Deception: Convince

 

//Updates for Onri and Giselle!

 

“I had intended on striking forth to find one missing daughter when I first heard of her disappearance,” Giselle sips her own glass, “and may still encourage my Lord to allow me to do so,” she adds. “But before that can happen…well, master Piper, you’re clearly also one of honor and honesty, a virtue welcome as it is surely all-too rare…” she sets the box she received on the table between them, “and so I will tell you that I’ve been gifted this anonymously, and like not at all what I suspect it to mean,” she pauses, “not that I can unravel the puzzle of that, exactly…just that I feel it was not gifted in the spirit of peace, as our intentions are in searching you out. Perhaps you can be of some help?”

 

At Ptek’s words, Onri remembers Matthyw’s adventures from the night before. He answers, “I don’t know his grand plan, and I suspect no one but Orten can claim different. But sometimes a fisherman can be caught in his own net. And, if he is caught, I’m certain the scandal would destroy his sister’s betrothal and allow her to slip away with no one to go after her. But first, we need to put our pieces together. I know that he intends to pit House Lugus against House Corinthyen. I know that intends to use your unique wares. But I do not know his target, nor what his intended prize is. What can you tell me about our employer?”

/Roll Deception: Convince and throw in the bonus point!

 

//Updates posted! I think all threads here could potentially be considered complete, unless anyone wants something more from one of them.

 

//I’m content to move on to the next scene, apart from Areon returning the dirty looks the guards were giving us, he’s content with the arrangement. :)

 

//I also can move on, noting that Giselle’s parting with Piper should be as pleasant as affable as possible, hopefully convincing him to supply us some easier way to track him down should we garner the results of this arrangement, rather than scouring bars in major cities.

 

//I’m willing to call it a wrap, although Onri probably will ask Ptek the location of the Dannet ship off-camera.

 

//Okay, all completed, then. I posted some final information that you will probably want to know. Next scene upcoming very shortly.

JonathonVolkmer JonathonVolkmer

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.